Heir to the Empire
Armada Shipyards proudly presents its first expansion set for Star Wars: Armada. This set is loosely based on the popular Thrawn Trilogy novels by Timothy Zahn, and contains new ship, squadron and upgrade cards for both the Imperial and Rebel factions. The cards can be freely downloaded from the website (using the Set 1 tag) for home printing, or ordered as a ready-to-play set from PrinterStudio (by following this link; see the Detailed Instructions below). Armada-scale models for all the new ships and starfighters are available from Mel Miniatures on Shapeways.
Shipyards Set 1 contains the following:
- Immobilizer 418-class Cruiser
- Vindicator-class Heavy Cruiser (2 variants)
- Dreadnaught-class Heavy Cruiser (4 variants)
- Assault Frigate Mark I (3 variants)
- GR-75 Medium Transport
- Xg-1 Starwing Assault Gunboat (generic and unique)
- Lambda-class Shuttle (generic and unique)
- Z-95 Headhunter (generic and unique)
- E-Wing (generic and unique)
- 24 new Upgrade cards (2 commanders, 4 officers, 11 titles, 2 gravity well projector upgrades and 5 cargo upgrades)
- 6 new Objective cards
For home printing:
- Click on this link to open the set contents list.
- Open each post and download all the image files to a folder on your hard drive.
- Launch your favourite word processing or desktop publishing application and import all the images you saved onto a blank document.
- Make sure all images are set to 100% scale, at 600dpi.
- Print the document out on cardstock and trim the cards, bases and dials to size with scissors or a hobby blade.
For professional printing:
- Go to PrinterStudio and create an account if you don’t already have one.
- While logged in, open this link.
- Select any one of the three decks pictured and click on ‘add to cart’.
- Use the “back” button on your browser (or the backspace key) to return to the deck selection screen.
- Select another deck and add it to the cart.
- Use the “back” button again and add the third deck to the cart.
- Adjust quantities if desired, then click on ‘go to checkout’ and place the order.
- When your items arrive, you’ll have to cut out the ship baseplates and squadron dials; Wes Janson has written some useful tips here.
Q: Are you selling these cards?
A: No. All the content on this website is and will always be available for free – all the cards in the set can be individually downloaded for home printing. The external links provided above are offered for your convenience only: Armada Shipyards is not affiliated in any way with PrinterStudio, Mel Miniatures or Shapeways and does not receive any share of the revenues. Note that the material on this website is strictly for personal use, as it contains artwork copyrighted by FFG, LFL, Disney and/or the original artist.
Q: OK, but how much will it cost me to get everything printed?
A: Depends. PrinterStudio charges about $20 plus shipping for the whole set (on premium 310gs linen cardstock). Your local print shop may be cheaper. Home printing on a laser printer is probably the cheapest option; using an inkjet printer is certainly possible, but be prepared to burn through a significant amount of ink.
Q: Are the cards sized like official Armada cards from FFG?
A: Almost. The ship, squadron and objective cards are exactly the same size and will fit perfectly in standard FFG sleeves. The upgrade cards are slightly wider, but will also (barely) fit in FFG mini sleeves. In any case, they can be easily trimmed to FFG size by following the vertical guidelines on the back of the card.
Q: Are these cards balanced for competitive play?
A: Reasonably. However, please bear in mind this is a fan-made project designed and tested by a small team, so it may be unrealistic to expect the level of fine-tuning to match FFG’s standards. Actually, FFG has been known to make mistakes… from time to time.
Q: How many copies of each card are included in the set?
A: Two of each ship and objective card, one of each squadron card, and one of each unique upgrade card. Each ship comes with two baseplates for each variant, and each squadron comes with one unique and five generic dials. The exception to the above is the GR-75 Medium Transport, which comes with four ship cards and four sets of five cargo upgrade cards.
Q: Can I use these cards in Vassal?
Q: Will this custom content be available to use with fleet building software?
A: Yes. Nevetz of Armada Warlords has kindly agreed to include Shipyards Set 1 as optional content in his wonderful tool. But it is not yet fully armed and operational.
Q: I love your work! But why is my favorite ship not in the set?
A: You may dispense with the pleasantries. We assure you, our men are working as fast as they can.